If your computer is…
- SLOW in loading programs, ‘thinking’
- FREEZING or not opening programs properly
- displaying POP UPs alerting you of a danger
You might have a virus or other malicious computer program on you computer (malware).
BUT… Don’t panic yet.
We ar often able to clean them off and recover your data.
Prevention is best.
- Install an antivirus program such as Avast Business Cloudcare (an excellent protective software Saunders IT recommend and sell)
- Be mindful and use commonsense when opening or downloading (note: get rick quick sites, certain gaming sites, porn sites, gambling sites are common offenders as well as suspect emails that evade the spam filter and get into your main inbox).
Avast offer a free version for those getting started which you can even download the free version here. However, if you run a business, or have a home office it is strongly recommended you obtain a premium antivirus software. We are proud partners of Avast Business Cloudcare for a reason – it offers very comprehensive protection against viruses, malware, phishing, adware and other malicious software. We can install it remotely for you – with your permission of course – so all you have to do is call us today and we can set it up immediately.
**Please note: Rely on Microsoft Defender at your own risk – Microsoft have created the Windows Operating System for a global platform. Their core business is NOT Internet Security and Saunders IT regularly book in machines that have no extra antivirus or malware protection, sometimes with irretrievable data.
What is a computer virus?
Computer viruses can spread by opening infected email attachments, downloading infected files and inadvertently clicking on malicious links. A USB stick may also transfer data from one computer to another via opening a file saved on it.
Computer viruses can be self-replicating — capable of copying themselves across files or other computers without a user’s consent.
- Always download files and programs from the original source site where possible.For instance, use Avast itself not a third party such as www.somecompany.com/avast. Keep in mind sometimes other sources have only a slight difference in name to the main company and might appear on google before the source site like www.getavastnow.com.
- Visit reputable websites.Get rich quick, as well as some gaming and pornography sites are common offenders for hosting viruses which can wreak havoc on your computer.
- DON’T ever let a stranger such as a telemarketer on your computer even if they say they are from Microsoft or Telstra or any other company you may deal with.They can install worms and other software to access your banking details and Saunders IT have had customers lose money in this way.
If you do get a virus….
Before you run your antivirus, ensure your files are backed up. SaundersIT have access to a professional range of virus and malware removal tools and may be able to clean your data. Sometimes the operating system files are corrupted and the computer needs to be reformatted. It is always smart to expect viruses are just part of life such as flat car tires and if you keep a list of your software licenses and a back up of your files, the event will be a mere inconvenience rather than a wipe out.